Fly control is an important step for success on your operation. Using fly traps along with an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program will help provide effective control against flies, creating a productive and healthy environment for you, your livestock and your employees. To boost fly control efforts, here are a few tips that’ll help you set successful traps around your property:
Tip 1: Apply traps at every level
From the floor to the ceiling, flies can gather just about anywhere. That’s why Starbar® products are designed to provide fly control at every level around your property.
- Low Levels: Flies tend to feed at the low levels of a farm or operation. Place your traps on the ground to attract flies while they feed.
- Medium Levels: You can hang traps such as our Fly Terminator® Pro Fly Trap, along fences and walls to target flies where they typically mate.
- High Levels: For high level fly control and targeting flies while they rest, hang traps around the ceiling.
Using a combination of these methods will provide your property with an all-encompassing method for controlling flies.
Tip 2: Hit flies with a one-two punch
Unique areas around your property require unique solutions. That’s why Starbar® provides two types of traps for your fly control needs.
- Chemical Attractants: To attract flies looking to mate, use Starbar’s dry fly attractant pouch as a great companion to use in Starbar® traps that use water. Products like FlyRelief™ Disposable Fly Traps and Trap ‘N Toss™ Disposable Fly Trap come with their own attractant and can be thrown out or emptied and reused when filled up with flies. For products such as the Captivator® Fly Trap, place the water soluble pouch of fly trap attractant into the water of the trap.
- Bright Colors to Attract Flies: For higher levels on an operation, traps with bright colors attract flies to land while looking for a place to rest. Starbar’s Bite Free™ Stable Fly Trap shimmers with the sunlight and draws in stable flies and should be placed near ground level. The EZ Trap® Fly Trap is bright and compact while still providing a large surface area for effective control in harder to reach places.
Tip 3: Improve your IPM Program with Fly Traps
Utilizing fly traps in and around your property will help you measure the number of flies present and the extent of your property’s fly problem. By doing so, you can identify which areas to target. Use traps together with fly baits to maximize control efforts and optimize your IPM program.
Learn more about which fly traps are right for your operation with our Traps brochure!